Barbieri International Hostel

Barbieri International Hostel is an old area of the city north of Grand Via. The area is full of charm, with many tapas bars and restaurants frequented by locals as well as the adventurous tourists. Therefore, if you want to "go native," this may be the area for you.

The small road seems rundown and on reaching the address, we were quite shocked, as the building looked abandoned and the old door is full of graffiti. We assumed that it had closed down, but upon checking the buzzers, we found the hostel name on the second floor, so we buzzed and got let in and the receptionist greeted us with English and a smile. All is well, except for the old and rundown environment.

We stayed in the front room with six sleeping bunks; it has high ceilings and broken tiled floors. There is a tiny balcony onto the street and AC for the hotter months. Along the corridor are the bathrooms that are shared -- they are adequate but of poor quality with too much wear for the price you are paying.

There is a good kitchen to rustle up food -- it's a good way to save money in expensive Madrid. The lounge area is a good size with sofas and tables. There is one large TV and loads of DVD on a bookshelf for anyone to watch. There were only girls staying there when we went and that may be because the environment is secure -- perhaps no one would want to come in! With twenty-four-hour security, that is a plus. There are full-size lockable lockers too.

Summary

Overall, we would not recommend this place for a stay, unless there is nowhere else available -- just because it is so dilapidated and surely is not worth the money being asked. It is a good fifteen-minute walk from Place dela Cibeles (the airport express bus stop).

April 2011

How is Barbieri International Hostel rated on other websites?
Gomio
Barbieri International Hostel Reviews from the Web
5   Nice staff Nice staff, free breakfast and a small guest kitchen. rooms are ok with clean sheets.  , china ()
3   Good for the price This hostel is pretty cramped -- you will find yourself climbing over folks to get to your bed, especially if you're on an upper bunk -- so it's definitely for the young and agile. Bring some earplugs, too. Leaving that aside, though, it's pretty good for an inexpensive hostel -- I enjoyed the people and the staff was cool as well. They had a net terminal and were pretty chill when my plans changed at the last minute. Gay folks and clubbers should know this is right near Chueca, the gay village, so that's convenient. I stayed here in 2005.  , Canada ()
5   Great Staff The staff is made of students that always change. Nice and helpful -- they found me a bed in another (good) hostel a saturday night when all other locations were fully booked. That's why I gave them 5 stars. The location is average.  , France ()
3  The people who work there are unhelpful and unfriendly. The room I stayed in had a bar next to it so it was loud until early in the morning. Also if you are going to have a lockout for cleaning at least refill the toilet paper (had no toilet paper in the womens bathroom for two days!). But it is an excellent location with a decent kitchen and common area.  , USA ()
1  A friend and I stayed here one night and had planned on staying several nights at a later date, but after the first night, we decided to cancel. We ran into a problem with that, though, because they insisted on charging us for the first two nights of the second stay. While the bathrooms were fine and the place looked alright, you do not get good value for your money. No breakfast is included, no internet or laundry facilities that we could see. While it was not the worst hostel, it definitely wasn't the best.  ()
2  We booked one night online then called to try to cancel less than forty-eight hours in advance and they said we couldn't and even if we didn't show up they would still charge us -- so we said fine, we'll show up tomorrow night. We show up the next night after a tiring trip from Andalusia only to find that they had given our beds to ther people. Not only that, but had we failed to show up and ask for our beds they would still have charged us the night we booked. Their excuse was, "We thought you weren't coming," which is quite pathetic because they were still planning on charging us the night anyway plus we said we were coming. There was a poor guy at the reception who had nothing to do with it who got the brunt of it all and the other person responsible was quite rude on the phone. I do however have to admit that they did try to book us other rooms, but they were too far away and we used the Lonely Planet to find one closer by. And I also have to be honest and mention that they cancelled the night they charged us when we went and found somebody else in the room. We didn't get to see the hostel itself, but the reception was rather small and drab.  ()
4  Great location. Friendly staff. Good breakfast. Hot showers. And I met interesting people there.  ()
5  It's been almost three years since I stayed in this hostel. It was a Sint Lukas, Brussels Belgium, school trip. But I still think back about it how nice it was and how friendly the people were. At the time I was there they were painting the hallway, but never was there any problem entering the building, etc. I remember the rooms and the little kitchen. Even the restaurant a few streets away, Kola Bora, I never will forget. This hostel is a paradise. The day I come back to Madrid, Hoste Calle Barbieri will be where I stay.  ()