Kiev Central Station Hostel

Kiev Central Station Hostel is the winner of the 2009 best hostel in Ukraine so we expected it to be a great place to stay. You would think this one must outshine the other hostels in Kiev, but in fact it was the opposite. Maybe it went downhill after the award, but this hostel is more like a person’s flat then a hostel.

The location could not be worse -- twenty minutes uphill from the train station with no trams or bus service; you have a long walk to get there. It is about forty minutes' walk from Independence Square (not twenty as advertised) and to any other sight around the city. As far as we can tell, there is no club within walking distance, but there is a nice local bar to which the owner takes guests. If you want to be close to the train station, this hostel is for you (for those early trains out).

The dorm is large and spacious but they use it to hang out their washing in the day, so that crowds the place up. The other, smaller dorm is a bit darker and crowded. The mattresses are thin and not that nice to sleep on. The bathrooms are clean enough, though the dirt ring around the shower we come to expect in Ukraine is apparent (from talking to Ukrainians this is normal for them, so we guess the cleaning people think it is ok). There is hot water at all times of the day as far as we could see.

The common room looks like a single guy’s place, with a bed on the floor and an old saggy couch to sit on, though it had a nice balcony with a tree top view. The owner, like some other hostels in Kiev, lives in the hostel, and most nights he takes over the kitchen to cook his dinner (being Brazilian he uses the whole kitchen to cook it). The breakfast is a piece of bread and some jam. The state of the floor is appalling -- they expect people to take off shoes but within a few steps your socks are dirty. If they want to have a no-shoe policy, they should keep the floor much cleaner.

Summary

Overall this hostel is run like someone's flat with some beds in it. The owner admitted he does not run this as a business but as something for him to do while in Ukraine. This does give it a nice, homey feel but it also means things like cleaning and making sure the place is tidy are not taken seriously. We were very disappointed in the state of the hostel today, knowing it won the 2009 award.

September 2010

How is Kiev Central Station Hostel rated on other websites?
Kiev Central Station Hostel Reviews from the Web
1  Awful hostel, administration steel people's things (i was robbed-my charge device from iphone, which I kept under my bed was stolen) and in the last day manager asked me to pay 100 UAN for a one day in spite of I'd paid for all of days! It turned out that she didn't marked in computer one day of my accommodation, and despite of this fact, she refused to leave me the hostel while I wouldn't pay! It's horrible! Disgusting location -- 30 minutes to the nearest metro station and there are no another transport nearby! I recommend to stay away from this hostel as farther as better!  ()