Bob's Youth Hostel

Bob’s Youth Hostel in Amsterdam is a lively hostel in a lively part of town -- definitely a place to go to get the true Amsterdam experience.

Bob’s Youth Hostel is in a great location! It is just a ten-minute walk with one turn on a major boulevard from the central train station and on the edge of all the nightlife that the Red Light District provides. The area also has plenty of cheap food and coffee shops around. There is a tram stop just outside the door that gives easy access to all parts of the city.

There are two buildings for this hostel -- the main building with the common area and main desk and a building around the block. The building around the block is safely guarded with both a code to enter the dorm and a security guard at night. Note: There are very steep stairs leading up to the dorms in the second building. There are lockers in the dorms. There is a key deposit and the units are spacious enough for a big backpack as well as some other items.

The six-bedroom dorm we stayed in was clean with nice beds and comforters with one shower and sink attached to the room. The toilet, which is just outside in the hallway, is also clean and well-stocked with toilet paper. There are also sixteen-bed dorms for the same price that could be more shabby and loud.

The main common area is filled (and spilling out onto the sidewalk) day and night with people playing cards, drinking (beer/wine is cheap and you could bring your own liquor), and (of course) smoking weed. It is a chill, but friendly environment with guests’ drawings along the walls and good music playing. There are two public computers with for-pay internet. The Wi-Fi was not working while we were there and by the way the staff talked about it, may not work very often.

Free breakfast is served until 11 a.m. (the latest we encountered) in this same building and includes toast and hard-boiled eggs (the smell of which in the not-so-ventilated area kept us away!). There is no public kitchen for guest use.

Overall, the vibe of this hostel is like that dive bar that you really want to be part of -- not glamorous, but a down-to-earth, fun crowd. Checkout is at 11 a.m. but the desk is closed overnight so if you need to catch an early train or plane, you must return the key before you go to sleep the night before. The staff is friendly and willing to recommend attractions/bars, give directions, or just chat, but they are slightly disorganized at times and we had to wait thirty minutes while they finished paperwork to check in the morning when we arrived.
by Juan-Ruvin Marquin Leon
July 2011

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Bob's Youth Hostel" at Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 92.)

Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 92, Centrum, Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands
52.375801, 4.892526
+31 (0)20 623 0063
+31 (0)20 675 6446

How is Bob's Youth Hostel rated on other websites?

Fantastic and Nice Place. Enjoy now.
Age 32, Sri Lanka
A tad below decent
This was only my second time in a hostel and I traveled with 7 people. Bob's was accommodating by letting us all stay in the same room. We stayed on the top floor and shared a room for 10 people and across the hall from us was a room of probably 4-6 people. We all shared one toilet and two showers that had sinks and mirrors in them. It was surprisingly not as gross as I expected but privacy was very limited and getting ready was a little bit of a struggle for girls I would suggest bringing a mirror to get ready. The beds were comfy but the room was hot but location was good and that's pretty much all we were looking for and that's what we got. The people who work the front desk are just ok and the lounge is very small but the hostel works as a fine place to sleep and the rooms are pretty big (thank god cause so many people are in them).
Age 20, United States
Best hostel I stayed in in Amsterdam
Let me preface this by saying I made the mistake of staying at two hostels very far from the city center the first two days, so Bob's was immediately better due to its close proximity to everything I wanted to do (many trams stop outside of Bob's and it's a close walk to the Red Light District.) Bob's small reception area makes it easy to meet new people -- spent every day going out with different people I met at the hostel. Free tea/coffee in the morning is nice. Rooms have nice murals, kinda crappy bathrooms. Receptionists are pretty good DJs which is nice.
Age 21, USA
Basic and Small
We booked an 8 person dorm for 6 of us. They ended up screwing up our reservation and ended up in a 10 person room on the top floor with no air conditioning. There was only one toilet for the top floor, which consisted of 16 people in all. They no longer serve breakfast, only positive was that they have good wifi.
Age 22, USA
I was a little disappointed that there weren't any shared kitchen facilities to do my own cooking, which meant eating simple foods I could put together w/o a cutting board/stovetop or eating out. Not the end of the world, everything else about the hostel was good. I stayed in a very large room, but the lockers were plenty big for my baggage, shower was good as well. Outside of the lack of kitchen I would stay again.
This hostel was great if you want a place to keep your stuff safe and also to just chill and smoke in the lounge. The beds were small and bunked. The bathrooms were clean and the shower was very nice. The smoking lounge is by far the best part of the hostel with really nice staff and great music.
very, very bare bones, but what the hell?
First thing's first: Got off the train at the main rail station and looked at my map. I was trying to find Bob's Hostel. Two very random and beautiful girls asked if they could help me with directions. A scam! I thought. Until I said I was looking for Bob's Hostel. They gave me exact directions (how often does that happen in the states)? I happened to stay at the annex. 8 people to the room. In my experience it was a bunch of English kids eating magic mushrooms and one spanish guy who was quite cool. The shower was decent enough, though you have to contend with up to 8 people wanting to take showers all at once. Breakfast is a hardboiled egg, a piece of toast and tea or coffee. This place is very bare bones. Lots of pot smoking in the common/breakfast room. Location is great. 5 minutes, tops, from main train station. Three blocks over from the Red Light District but you wouldn't really know it. There is a street-car stop right in front of the main entrance. Over all, it is in a very central location and only costs something like 18 euros a night (2006). Which, if you're only looking for a semi-clean place to rest your head, is just fine.
(United States of America)
Bob's Youth Hostel is in the ideal location for exploring Amsterdam. It is a short walk from the train station, the red light district, canals, the central Dam square, and many of Amsterdam's sights. The atmosphere at Bob's is very relaxed, but won't suit everybody. Smoking in the common room is a given -- this is Amsterdam after all. However, many of the guests never stop smoking, and the room doesn't have the best ventilation so it can become a thick haze of smoke. Some of the receptionists are very friendly and will help with any queries, but others are more difficult. The hostel is also a pick-up point for a free walking tour. Dorm rooms are separated in two different buildings. There is the main reception building, and another building around the corner that feels rather detached. There are no common spaces in the second building, although there is a TV in the hallway. The dorm rooms are well heated and are cleaned daily. You are required to leave the room from 10 to 12:30 for cleaning, and cleaners insist that you must leave and are more than happy to wake you up. Sheets are provided, but only a pillow case and fitted sheet. Some of the blankets are quite dirty. Non-smokers will be pleased that smoking is not allowed in the dorms. Although the dorms are clean, during our stay we still encountered a rat munching on some bread left on the window sill. The bathrooms are also cleaned daily -- perhaps a little too well, with industrial-strength bleach. This is often not mopped up too well and is left in puddles for unsuspecting victims to step in (it will turn socks or pants white). It also leaves a rather unpleasant smell in the unventilated toilets. Free breakfast is provided daily and consists of tea, bread (often stale), jam, and two eggs. Coffee costs extra. Internet is also available for use in the common room and is pretty cheap.
Vanessa Boltman