Mahtra Hostel

In a town without many options, this hostel is not bad. The hostel is located in Tallin's new town which basically means that it's in an area with lot of soviet block apartment bulidings. The hostel is on the bottom floor of one of them and is easily accesible using the bus system (about 20 minutes from old town where the fun is).

The rooms are nice, clean, and newly renovated. The bathrooms also nice and there is a plus -- a free sauna. The kitchen is small but has everything you need.

The staff is not overly friendly, but that is to be expected unfortunately in much of Eastern Europe. There are no common room so not much chance to chat with other travellers unless you go to the cafe/bar attached to the hostel. A big plus about the hostel is that its walking distance to a nice supermarket and a McDonalds for those on a budget.

December 2004
How is Mahtra Hostel rated on other websites?
Mahtra Hostel Reviews from the Web
4   Ok ok, but facilities would be better.  , latvia ()
1  That was awful. We have reserved three rooms by the internet. We came to the hostel in evening. Neighbourhood was horrible. There were many drunk people. Noise all the night. Don't trust the information you see on Mahtra's website. You won't get bed sheets. You get pillowcase covered in brown color. Awful place, awful neighbourhood. It was a horrible night.  ()
4  I have been in that hostel on June 2006. The hostel is situated on two floors -- one in the basement and one in first floor. For the price ten euro per person I got everything I needed. Also I asked for tranfer from the airport and didn't have to wait for a driver. Breakfast was not included in the price, but for that sum (two euro) my stomach was fully loaded. I think that next time I visit Tallinn, I don't hesitate to go there, because if you have low budget and want to see maximum, it is the place to go.  ()
1  Jeez, that was awful! We came there, the staff were unfriendly, and the room — you must have seen it, it's something like a basement. The beds smell like old clothes AND the most frightening thing were the mice running around room. The showers are terrible. :( Never ever again.  ()